Monday, May 17, 2010

I give up.

I've been kinda-sorta sick all weekend. But then...
I woke up today with zero voice. Zip. By the time I got to school, I could talk a little, but there was no way I could sing... unfortunately, I am in a group of 6 girls that was supposed to sing tonight at a school event. We were going to sing Come Thou Fount in 4 parts, and then Revelation Song.
Problem: I had considered myself pretty much indispensable in that group.
Solution: I'm not. And it took a case of laryngitis to prove it to me.

I got the flu/laryngitis at the Awards Ceremony last year (in which I was supposed to sing, again, with my other chorus). I got my mini-lesson then. I wasn't indispensable in that chorus either.

Both of these times, I ended up playing piano. Both times, I only was playing piano for the groups in the first place because I was the only one who could sing and play.
Problem #1: I didn't end up singing.
Problem #2: I don't play piano in the first place!!!
Solution: none in sight.
Both times, I missed chords, was not all that interesting, etc. Nobody looked at me. My name was in the program, but all the lights were off and the spotlight was not on me... literally and figuratively.
I've never been one to pretend that I was humble. I struggle with pride, yes. So... I guess God sees it fit to take away what I do think I do well, and put me in a position to do something I know I do badly.
He gives and takes away, but blessed be His name.

Silver Lining: my parents didn't feel it necessary to come!


Just look at the verse that was in my devotional today (irony? yes)~
2 Corinthians 3:5
Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God.

I concede. fold. surrender. whatever. YOU WIN.


Katie

2 comments:

David said...

yay!!! Don't you just love how God works?

Katie said...

sometimes... when I think about it... hehe.